Friday, April 23, 2010

Surprise, it's Bradford!

The Rams have their quarterback, and I wish I could feel excited about it. However, even though I'm not a Jimmy Clausen fan, I find myself thinking that the Rams could have gotten him with the 33rd pick, if they'd taken somebody else number one. Is Clausen a better bet than Bradford to succeed in the NFL? I don't think so, but I don't think the difference is so great that it makes any sense to pay Bradford so much more than what Clausen will get early in the second round.

On the bright side, the Rams have a chance to grab a player to complement Bradford with that 33rd pick, since the draft is very deep. A lot of smart people seemed to think Golden Tate was the second best receiver in the draft after Dez Bryant, and he's available, but he's hardly the prototypical West Coast receiver. Arrelious Benn is closer to the ideal for the Rams offense, with more size, better hands, and more consistent routes. Not that Benn's hands haven't been criticized, but he's still well ahead of Tate in that department.

Or the Rams could go for the offensive line... Bruce Campbell is on the board, and you have to love his athleticism, even as I cringe about his injury issues. He should be worth the risk as a second rounder, though. Charles Brown is on the board, but he might not be the best fit for the Rams' system, though I like his chances of gaining strength through his mid-twenties, which would shore up his biggest weakness. Brown will be able to pass block effectively in the NFL, which means his future is clearly at left tackle, sink or swim.

So what will the Rams do? I'd like to see Brown, Campbell or Benn, but I just don't have a lot of faith that they'll do anything sensible.

No comments:

Post a Comment